The Northern Border Terrier Club was formed on 1st December 1946, the result of a meeting of 17 like minded Border Terrier enthusiasts at the Park House in Gosforth. From humble beginnings we are now the third most senior of the seven breed clubs in the UK. Only the Border Terrier Club and the Southern Border Terrier Club can lay claim to more years in service than us, founded in 1920 & 1930 respectively.
In geographical terms, The Northern Border Terrier Club is the closest to the natural home of the Border Terrier being that tract of Border country between England and Scotland bounded by the Cheviot Hills and the remote valleys of the Rede, Coquet (hence these terriers once being known by the name of the Coquetdale Terrier), North Tyne and Liddesdale, all famous for the traditional Border Shepherd Shows featuring classes for Border Terriers. The Border Terrier as a breed in its own right was recognised by the Kennel Club in 1920.